Sunday, March 17, 2013

Happiness

“Happiness, not in another place but this place...not for another hour, but this hour.”
― Walt Whitman

Are you happy? I really am. I am so stinkin happy! It’s been an awesome week (I surpassed a few goals I set for myself- yay!). Even if I hadn’t exceeded those goals it still would’ve been a great week. Why? Because I just love where I am in life right now. I love challenging myself everyday at Crossfit, I love the community of friends I have there, I love watching people challenge themselves and get better, I love trying new things in the kitchen (which I did a few times this week and all were successfully delicious! Don't worry I'll blog on then eventually!), and I love the energy I’ve had lately from eating healthy. It’s so silly but I often just catch myself with a smile on my face for no reason, do you ever do that? I sure hope so, cause happiness is meant for now.

A big part of what makes me happy is breakfast. I love breakfast. I am one of those people who wake up hungry. I seriously wake up excited to eat!
 
Of course I don’t have time to make breakfast each morning so on Sunday I make a breakfast I can eat all week. This is my new favorite- quick, easy, delicious re-warmed, super filling, and great with my black cup of Starbucks bold coffee.
   
Meat Crust Quiche (Adapted from PaleOMG)

Prep time:  20 mins Cook time:  30 mins Total time:  50 mins
Serves: 4-5

Ingredients
  • 1 pound breakfast sausage or ground meat
    • I made it with ground turkey which was ok
    • I made it with Italian sausage seasoned ground turkey which was better
    • This week I made it with Trader Joes Chicken Sausage Sun Dried Tomato Basil
  • 1 small sweet potato, diced
    • I add chopped mushrooms and bell peppers too for some extra veggies and flavor
  • 1/2 cup onion, diced
  • 2 cups fresh spinach
  • 4 eggs, whisked
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • ⅛ teaspoon ground paprika
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or grass fed butter/other fat)
Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Press the meat into a pie plate or quiche plate until it’s even all around and pressed up to the rim of the plate.
3. Bake for 18-20min on a baking sheet (in case of spills) until meat presses back when you poke it. It doesn’t need to be completely cooked through, but pretty close.
4. While your crust is baking, heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat and melt the 2 tablespoons of oil. Then add garlic, onion, sweet potatoes, and any extra veggies to the pan. Stir. Cook until the onions begin to become translucent, sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper on top and cover to help steam the potatoes and cook quicker.
5. Once potatoes are tender (4-5 minutes), add the spinach and cover again to help the spinach wilt.
6. When the spinach is wilted (1-2minutes), put the mixture into a bowl and let it cool.
7. When mixture is cooled, add in the eggs, garlic powder, ground paprika, salt and pepper. Mix well.
8. After the crust is done baking, remove the excess oil and pour your egg mixture on top of the meat crust. The meat shrinks so some egg might leak over.
9. Place the pan back into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. It takes a while completely cook through, you’ll know it’s done when the middle pushes back when you poke it.
10.Enjoy once cool or every morning for the rest of the week!



No comments:

Post a Comment